Scott Ruby serves as the national lead for tax planning and other tax services for RSM’s specialty finance industry practice. Scott joined RSM US LLP in 2002 as a member of the national tax office and, since May 2004, has dedicated substantially all of his time to serving clients in the specialty finance industry.
Scott has more than 30 years of experience assisting both public and closely held businesses in a number of industries. He has significant mergers and acquisitions experience that includes structuring transactions and assisting with the economic and tax due diligence process. He is known for identifying creative and cost-effective tax planning strategies for his clients.
Prior to joining RSM US LLP, Scott was employed by a Big Four firm where his clients included venture capital, software, internet, and pharmaceutical companies. Scott also held a senior-level management position in the tax functions of a Fortune 150 company and started and managed the tax department for a publicly traded, multinational software and data hosting company (acquired for $1.4 billion).
Scott's clients include closely held S corporations, partnerships, and C corporations, including groups that file consolidated income tax returns. He has served as the tax lead for various early stage companies, in a consulting role on a large multinational engagement, and as a consultant on numerous M&A and transaction projects. Scott has served on various industry and professional committees and is a frequent speaker on tax issues.
Scott’s past and present community involvement includes the following:
· North Carolina State University, charter member of the Accounting Department’s Advisory Committee
· Leadership Raleigh Alumni Association
· Junior Achievement of Eastern North Carolina board of directors
· Work Life Balance committee, North Carolina Association of CPAs
Professional affiliations and credentials
· American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
· North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
· Master of Taxation, DePaul University
· Bachelor of Science, business administration, accounting, University of Colorado